5 Must Do's For Your Optimum Health
1. The Golden 5! Most every health publication focusing on supplement recommendations will list these or at least most of these.
Multi Vitamin is the most essential supplement of them all. Try for plant based with vitamins A, C, D, E, and K as well as potassium, zinc and iodine.
Vitamin D deficiency is common. It is essential for calcium absorption and critical in protecting against osteoporosis and bone injury. It has also been linked to preventing some cancers. Several years ago I attended a lecture by Dr. Cooper and he at that time recommended 4,000 mg.
Omega 3 Fatty Acids help protect your heart, nourish your brain and lubricate your joints. There are different types of Omega 3's, you want DHA.
Probiotic intake for overall health has been underestimated. I could write an entire blog about the health properties of Probiotics. In a nut shell, the health of your gut effects you both physically and mentally. In order to have a healthy gut you need good bacteria. Probiotics strengthen your immune system, reverse ulcers and IBS, help in healing of most GI issues, lowers inflammation in the body and much, much more.
Magnesium is effective for bone and teeth health. It also tends to help keep your digestive system moving and aids in elimination. Other benefits include transmission of nerve impulses, body temperature regulation, detoxification and energy production.
2. Let's Get Physical! Regular physical activity is one of the most important things that you can do for your health. Just to name a few reasons why I LOVE it: control your weight, reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome, reduce your risk of some cancers, strengthen your bones and muscles, improve your mental health and mood, improve your ability to do daily activities and prevent falls, if you're an older adult, increase your chances of living longer. And MOST IMPORTANTLY.....it just feels really good.
3. Need a Friend? Having friendship is invaluable to your health. Someone you know who will be there in your highest moments and your darkest days. Recently being an empty-nester I have realized the importance of friendship. My family and kids especially have been my social group for so many years. Now that they are all living their lives I have found the need to reach out to like minded people and begin to build an uplifting community for me. Friends give our life more meaning. They allow us to experience things on a deeper level. They support us and help us when things get tricky. Check back in with me to see how I am doing with my circle!
4. Getting Into the Flow! Have you experienced moments when you felt connected, at peace and part of something BIG? Maybe a feeling of being in harmony, clear, alive and authentic. This is LIVING A LIFE OF PURPOSE. Doing things and surrounding yourself with what feels real and passionate. In addition to emotional and psychological benefits, living a life of purpose also helps you: live longer, protect against heart disease, prevent Alzheimer's disease, handle pain better and have better relationships. Extensive research on the science of wellbeing has found that people with a strong sense of purpose are better able to handle the ups and downs of life. "This is the true joy of life: being used up for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy." - George Bernard Shaw
5. Time Out! We must make room, time and space for a regular spiritual practice. We need a profound connection to the divine within us. To touch the sacred inside us each day. Spirituality provides clarity, hope, comfort, depth, truth, simplicity, intimacy and an overwhelming sensation that YOU are not alone. If you are new to this it doesn't have to be much. It might be a walking prayer as you are out with your dog. A moment at a traffic light connecting to your God. A quiet thought that gets you through a conflicting encounter at work. The more that you devote, dedicate and depend on your spiritual connection the more it will flourish and keep you afloat amongst chaos and frenzy.
Heads up to all of you who are interested in gaining a healthy happy belly. A gut rich in probiotics and digestive enzymes that works at full optimal health. Stay tuned for more information on a class that I will be offering on lacto-fermentation. I have been experimenting this fall and my belly has never felt so good, clean and efficient. You will definitely want to be a part of this!
As always, BE STRONG! Know that I am here to help you with all of your health and fitness needs.
Kim is a passionate fitness junkie that is certified in Personal Training, Pilates & Yoga. She thrives on introducing you to your healthy, fit, joyful and amazing self through fitness, life and nutritional counseling.