At the time of writing this blog it is the very last day of the month of January, 2016. As we have heard countless times it takes 21 days to make a habit. Twenty one days for a behavior to stick and be your normal continuous way of life. So I ask….How’s that going for you? Have your New Year’s intentions stuck? Are you on your way to a happy, healthy and fit life? Statistics say that a mere 8% of people actually are successful in achieving their resolutions. That means 92% of us fail. 92% of us go right back to our unhappy, unhealthy and unfit way of life.
It doesn’t have to be this way. We tend to go about it a bit wrong. We get caught up in the energy of the New Year and go all balls to the wall with attacking our new healthy way of life. We approach our wanted life with a fierce veracity, take no prisoners, conquer and divide mentality. It’s all or nothing baby!!!! What if we took a step back and thought of another approach. An approach based on reality. An approach based on health not inches or pounds, enjoyment not miles logged, and truth not Fitbit facts. Are you truly ready to have a healthy, fit and happy life that will last more than the token 21 days?
5 Ways to Make Living a Healthy Way of Life Become Your Healthy Way of Life for Good
1. Why? Why do you want this change? Get to the depths of why things are currently not acceptable to you anymore. Is it because you are truly unhappy? Is it because you received some scary news at your last doctor’s appointment? Is it because you are making someone you love miserable because of your behaviors? Why do you crave a different life? Why is it important for you to succeed in this change? Once you are very clear about WHY then you will have positive motion in moving forward. Get very precise and specific on why you want this so badly.
2. Slow Your Roll! We all know the moral of the fable about the tortoise and the hare-perseverance beats speed. I can’t tell you how many times at my studio I hear aggressive and outrageous plans to get back in shape and eat healthy. “I am going to work out 7 days a week at least two hours a day and I am only going to eat things that are green!” Of course this is exaggerated but the fact remains that we need to get realistic and create a successful plan. One that will last. One that is possible. Realize that it has taken many years for you to get to where you are and it is going to take some time to get you where you want to be. The most devastating thing that you can do for your health and wellness success is to be overly aggressive, unrealistic and to burn out and fizzle fast. Baby steps! Maybe it would be to start with 2 days of working out and eating 3 healthy meals a day of whole food goodness while staying away from sweets. After a couple of weeks of feeling successful and maintaining your plan, then increase the demands a bit, get more specific and see how that plays out. The tortoise throughout history has represented longevity and that is the key to making your plan YOUR way of healthy living.
3. Its GAMETIME! “If football taught me anything about business, it is that you win the game one play at a time.” ~Fran Tarkenton What’s your game plan? Spend some time getting a successful plan in place. Maybe you need some basic education and knowledge about nutrition and what to eat? Do you know how to detect ingredients that are harmful to you on food labels? Is the gym that you joined right for you or do you feel great when you exercise outdoors? What type of physical fitness makes you happy? Zumba, Cycling, Yoga, Walking, Belly Dancing, Swimming, Tai Chi? Or maybe you want to explore them all? Do you need a workout buddy to hold you accountable? Are you at a loss when you approach the workout equipment? Maybe a trainer is in need? Are you a disastrous cook in your kitchen and need to hire a healthy meal delivery option? These are all great things to ask and then answer. A proper game plan will lead to a successful routine and set you up for your healthy way of life for good.
4. Be Kind! Especially to yourself. There will be setbacks. There will be brief failures. There will be chocolate cake with big fluffy icing flowers. There will be days that you just don’t feel like getting your sweat on. Big Deal! Realize that you made a bad choice and get on with it. If you are living your healthy way of life then one mishap is not going to change anything. Get back on track and start again the next day. Knowing that there are many more days and choices that have been excellent than the one that you regret.
5. This is NOT a diet! Realize that if you have done the above, to get where you want to be it is not drudgery, or excruciatingly painful, or starving or a diet, or a torturous boot camp. It is pure JOY! The feeling that you experience when you begin to get healthy is comparable to none. Make a shift in your mindset that you are not “taking things away, depriving or isolating you from fun”! Instead “crowd-out” the old negative, not good for you behaviors with so much awesomeness in healthy living that it is of little sacrifice to be on your new plan. In my studio you will hear often…. “Nothing tastes as good as healthy living feels!” There is truly no vice that can give you the bliss of living right.
Above all else realize that YOU are so very worth it! Imagine, visualize, meditate on your desired healthy life. Take time to rest and contemplate. Keep moving forward and BE STRONG! As always The Fit Room is here to help with all of your health and fitness needs. Currently offering resistance training, Pilates, yoga and health coaching. Group and private sessions available. Connect with us today!
I come from a family of four girls, four sisters, and I like to think that I am my dad’s favorite. I think this not just because growing up we seemed to like the same things. Or our love of fitness and health. Or that I was the youngest and when my older sisters were doing “mature” girl things my dad and I would hang out. But I think that I am his favorite because we share something very special, our birthday. The day I was born my mom was hugely pregnant cleaning up a surprise birthday party for my dad and while mopping the floors she realized it was time for ME! April 20th has always been a very incredible day for my dad and me.
Growing up I loved sharing my special day with my dad. Each year we would do something to celebrate just the two of us. It became a tradition for him to take me to the local mall and into Toys by Roy, the most fantastic toy shop that I had ever seen and tell me that I could pick out one special present. I already had a pile of presents at home yet to be opened, but there was something magical in walking throughout the store filled with Barbie & Ken, Madame Alexander dolls, Pick up Sticks, Checkers, and every stuffed animal imaginable, knowing that I could choose anything. There weren’t any parameters or stipulations or limits set. The one item could be anything that I wanted. Some years it took me hours to choose others I knew exactly what I wanted in 2 minutes. The anticipation for this trip to the toy store built up for weeks. I would begin to count down the days until my dad and I could spend our special day together. I was so excited. I would lay awake at night with thoughts and dreams of our birthday extravaganza and have detail by detail expectations of the event. I just knew that it was going to be special and so worth the wait.
When I recall those sensations as a young girl I ponder if we can feel that same wonder for this New Year? With it being the very 1st day of the year 2016 can we look upon the next 365 days with the same excitement, anticipating what is in store? What will we receive? What will we enjoy and what will show up? What is the detail by detail list of expectations for this year? Do we know that it is going to be special and so worth the wait? Have we created a no parameter, no stipulation, and limitless idea for what 2016 brings? Do we believe that this year can be anything that we want? Will we lay awake at night with thoughts and dreams of what will happen? Do we know immediately what we want from 2016 or will it take time to formulate a plan?
I don’t know the answers to all of the above but I do know that we choose what becomes of this year. We determine the greatness of what is in store. With the help of the laws of the universe, what we put out comes right back to us. What good mojo, energy, vibe, presence, light, God or whatever you want to call it, shines bright. David Romanelli (www.yeahdave.com) reminded me in his latest soul inspiring email that, “We are moved by and healed by and inspired by people who know how to manage their energy….who are ALL THERE. These are people who share the full force of their being with others, not on social media, but in the flesh. It starts with your very next conversation….if you can look them in the eye.” According to Business Insider, “Eye contact is one of the easiest and most powerful ways to make a person feel recognized, understood and validated.”
That afternoon I decided to give Dave’s advice a try. At each of my stops that afternoon I stared deeply into the person across from me. Guess what? Not one single person would look me in the eye. I asked questions. I waited for responses. I discussed the weather. I said please and thank you. Yet not a single person would look me in the eye. Have we become that disconnected that rushed, that insensitive? Is anyone present and engaged? Are we so accustomed to standing across someone whose full attention is directed solely to their mobile device? I felt ill……..
There are many intentions that I hope to see fulfilled in 2016. But my most prized is to connect deeper. To build relations and community. To be present with those I love and those I have yet to get to know. To give time to those that need it and to ask for time when I am in need. To live with good mojo, energy, vibe, presence light and especially God so as to feel, hear and live with inspiration and intuition. To exist for purposes outside my own desires, ego and pride and to try every day to make this world a little bit better.
What are your intentions for 2016?
Much Gratitude and the Most Happiest and Present of New Year’s!
2016 Happenings at The Fit Room:
One on one session for personal training, Pilates and yoga available
Group yoga and Pilates sessions:
Monday 8am & 9am
Thursday 7am, 8am & 10am
Saturday 9am & 10am
Myofascial body work and therapy
Needing a little accountability for the upcoming year? Health Coaching is the answer for motivation, knowledge and understanding with all areas of your life. Realizing that gaining balance in the primary foods: your career, your relationships, your physical activity and your spiritual pursuits are all much more important than what is on your plate.
Needing more information call 214-558-7295 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Kim is a passionate fitness junkie that is certified in Personal Training, Pilates & Yoga. She thrives on introducing you to your healthy, fit, joyful and amazing self through fitness, life and nutritional counseling.