At the time of writing this blog it is the very last day of the month of January, 2016. As we have heard countless times it takes 21 days to make a habit. Twenty one days for a behavior to stick and be your normal continuous way of life. So I ask….How’s that going for you? Have your New Year’s intentions stuck? Are you on your way to a happy, healthy and fit life? Statistics say that a mere 8% of people actually are successful in achieving their resolutions. That means 92% of us fail. 92% of us go right back to our unhappy, unhealthy and unfit way of life.
It doesn’t have to be this way. We tend to go about it a bit wrong. We get caught up in the energy of the New Year and go all balls to the wall with attacking our new healthy way of life. We approach our wanted life with a fierce veracity, take no prisoners, conquer and divide mentality. It’s all or nothing baby!!!! What if we took a step back and thought of another approach. An approach based on reality. An approach based on health not inches or pounds, enjoyment not miles logged, and truth not Fitbit facts. Are you truly ready to have a healthy, fit and happy life that will last more than the token 21 days?
5 Ways to Make Living a Healthy Way of Life Become Your Healthy Way of Life for Good
1. Why? Why do you want this change? Get to the depths of why things are currently not acceptable to you anymore. Is it because you are truly unhappy? Is it because you received some scary news at your last doctor’s appointment? Is it because you are making someone you love miserable because of your behaviors? Why do you crave a different life? Why is it important for you to succeed in this change? Once you are very clear about WHY then you will have positive motion in moving forward. Get very precise and specific on why you want this so badly.
2. Slow Your Roll! We all know the moral of the fable about the tortoise and the hare-perseverance beats speed. I can’t tell you how many times at my studio I hear aggressive and outrageous plans to get back in shape and eat healthy. “I am going to work out 7 days a week at least two hours a day and I am only going to eat things that are green!” Of course this is exaggerated but the fact remains that we need to get realistic and create a successful plan. One that will last. One that is possible. Realize that it has taken many years for you to get to where you are and it is going to take some time to get you where you want to be. The most devastating thing that you can do for your health and wellness success is to be overly aggressive, unrealistic and to burn out and fizzle fast. Baby steps! Maybe it would be to start with 2 days of working out and eating 3 healthy meals a day of whole food goodness while staying away from sweets. After a couple of weeks of feeling successful and maintaining your plan, then increase the demands a bit, get more specific and see how that plays out. The tortoise throughout history has represented longevity and that is the key to making your plan YOUR way of healthy living.
3. Its GAMETIME! “If football taught me anything about business, it is that you win the game one play at a time.” ~Fran Tarkenton What’s your game plan? Spend some time getting a successful plan in place. Maybe you need some basic education and knowledge about nutrition and what to eat? Do you know how to detect ingredients that are harmful to you on food labels? Is the gym that you joined right for you or do you feel great when you exercise outdoors? What type of physical fitness makes you happy? Zumba, Cycling, Yoga, Walking, Belly Dancing, Swimming, Tai Chi? Or maybe you want to explore them all? Do you need a workout buddy to hold you accountable? Are you at a loss when you approach the workout equipment? Maybe a trainer is in need? Are you a disastrous cook in your kitchen and need to hire a healthy meal delivery option? These are all great things to ask and then answer. A proper game plan will lead to a successful routine and set you up for your healthy way of life for good.
4. Be Kind! Especially to yourself. There will be setbacks. There will be brief failures. There will be chocolate cake with big fluffy icing flowers. There will be days that you just don’t feel like getting your sweat on. Big Deal! Realize that you made a bad choice and get on with it. If you are living your healthy way of life then one mishap is not going to change anything. Get back on track and start again the next day. Knowing that there are many more days and choices that have been excellent than the one that you regret.
5. This is NOT a diet! Realize that if you have done the above, to get where you want to be it is not drudgery, or excruciatingly painful, or starving or a diet, or a torturous boot camp. It is pure JOY! The feeling that you experience when you begin to get healthy is comparable to none. Make a shift in your mindset that you are not “taking things away, depriving or isolating you from fun”! Instead “crowd-out” the old negative, not good for you behaviors with so much awesomeness in healthy living that it is of little sacrifice to be on your new plan. In my studio you will hear often…. “Nothing tastes as good as healthy living feels!” There is truly no vice that can give you the bliss of living right.
Above all else realize that YOU are so very worth it! Imagine, visualize, meditate on your desired healthy life. Take time to rest and contemplate. Keep moving forward and BE STRONG! As always The Fit Room is here to help with all of your health and fitness needs. Currently offering resistance training, Pilates, yoga and health coaching. Group and private sessions available. Connect with us today!
Kim is a passionate fitness junkie that is certified in Personal Training, Pilates & Yoga. She thrives on introducing you to your healthy, fit, joyful and amazing self through fitness, life and nutritional counseling.