Five Fabulous Finds From My Backpacking Adventure to
the San Juan Mountains of Colorado!
1. Less is More! This became very apparent on mile 1 of our climb to Chicago Basin. My friend and I had definitely over packed and we were feeling the weight. The 8 mile trek to the basin had been described as a progressive incline but that didn't quite do the severity justice. There were no side trails or cross hiking. Everything was straight up and steep. "HOLY CRAP!" We needed to lighten our load. We needed to purge things that were not necessary. Unfortunately it was too late and we were stuck with our packs and our load. It's a good thing life doesn't necessarily mirror backpacking. In this life we always have the opportunity to "dump" things that no longer serve us or things we no longer need. We always have the choice to lighten our load and make things less heavy. Purging things that come in conflict with our joy, purpose and passion is necessary to live an authentic life. Don't wait until it is too late and you are sweating buckets, breathing like a dog in heat, muscles cramping and climbing up to Chicago Basin. Get rid of your "JUNK" today!
2. "Surely that's the top!" I found myself saying this constantly as we began to get closer to the summit of Windom Peak. Each vertical trail would have a point where you couldn't see any further. "Surely that's the top!" I would say. But time and again I would reach "the top" to find another vertical trail that lead to the "next top". I began to get slightly discouraged and a bit anxious. "Is there a top?" Each time I would psyche myself up to make it to the top because "Surely that was the top!" Each time realizing that the top was nowhere in sight and I would need to continue on. Often times in life we say "If I could just have this..... life would be perfect" or "If I could just get through this....I would be happy." Backpacking through the San Juans reminded me that it is about the journey not the destination. That life is constantly in a flux of smooth sailing and stormy waters. That being perfectly O.K. with where you are in this moment is where peace is found. That regardless of how far you are from your idyllic circumstances life is truly AWESOME and should be celebrated always.
3. Black flies and mosquitoes, OH MY! I could handle the challenge of this experience, the extreme temperatures, the snow and ice, the outrageous inclines, the mountain goats, the marmots, my heavy pack, even the freezeddried food. But the thing that I could not handle were the black flies and mosquitoes. They were horrendous. Did I say horrendous? Because I can't think of any better word to describe my displeasure. They were everywhere and even though my backpacking buddy had her own personal pharmacy and exterminator kit in her pack, nothing would deter those pesky pests. I was truly being eaten alive. They were everywhere and they were coming in direct conflict with me enjoying my surroundings and taking in all the bounty that was before me. I found myself saying, "I will only do this again if we can get rid of the black flies and mosquitoes!" Wouldn't it be great if we could customize our lives just as I was trying to do with my campsite? Wouldn't it be great if we could cut out the things we don't like or are unhappy with and then just replace them with a superior option? Wouldn't it be great if we could avoid all things that brought us displeasure, unhappiness, anxiety, loneliness or hardship? Or how about eliminating old age, disease, financial struggles, wayward children, mean bosses, nagging mother in laws? Unfortunately that's not the way it works. Just as I had to take the black flies and the mosquitoes with the outrageously glorious views and adventure, we have to take the bad with the good, the struggles with the triumphs, the suffering with the celebrating. It's who we are and what we are.
4. Shiny pennies can throw you off a cliff! We were making our descent down the mountain and again we were feeling the weight of our packs. Except this time it was in opposite directions. The pack was tempting to topple us forward in our downward motion. I remember the trail becoming narrow and having a step edged cliff on the left of me, dropping down into the rapids of freezing river water below. As I was progressing I noticed a shiny penny on the trail in front of me. It was tails side up. Well, everyone knows that it's bad luck to have a penny tail side up so of course you have to correct that immediately. I wanted badly to bend down, turn the penny head side up so that the next backpacker would find it and "all day long have good luck!" Right???? The bending over wasn't too problematic but once I flipped the penny getting up was another story. A picture of the Movie Wild shot into my head when Cheryl was in her hotel room getting ready to head out onto the PCT and she couldn't even budge her pack an inch off the ground. Her pack was winning. As I began to use every fiber and muscle in my body to get up I started tipping to the left. The exact direction of the rushing, suck you under and die river. Luckily I barred down, focused, withdrew from distraction, breathed, stood straight up and continued on my way. Phewwww! Close call! How many times do we let distraction get the better of us? How many times do we veer off our chosen path and become side tracked? How many times do we let things come in conflict with our hopes, dreams and aspirations just because they might be shiny and promise good luck? Get busy, get focused, bare down, breathe and keep your eye on the prize. My prize that day was getting to the bridge at Needleton, flipping off my boots and dunking my worn out feet into the river. Sometimes it's as simple as that.
5. There's a Superhero inside all of us! My friend and I are regular girls but that day when we made it up the 8 miles to Chicago Basin, we were nothing short of Superheros. We actually continued to wear our capes because surviving the entire experience made us Superheros. From the physical and mental toughness, to the camping worst scenario survival, to the ability to go "dirty" for 3 days.....all awards us with Superhero status. Yet this was just a few days. I know many people in my life that are Superheros 24/7. People that are dealing with extreme challenges, difficult circumstances, tough life lessons. People that refuse to give up. They are my real Superheros. Yet we all have it in us. You have no idea how powerful you are. How amazing you are. How strong and resilient you are. Believe in yourself and all that you can do and accomplish and make happen. Believe that you can make a difference in your own life, the lives around you and this big vast beautiful world. You are truly AMAZING!
As always BE STRONG and stay tuned for my next adventure. If you are in need of any health and fitness advise and assistance please don't hesitate to contact me. I would love to help you reach your goals. Remember "To live will be an awfully big adventure." Peter Pan
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2010, 35.7 percent of adults in the United States were obese, and 34.2 percent were overweight. That means a full 69 percent of U.S. adults weighed more than they should, compromising their health and well-being.
Are you finding it impossible to get out of the rut of
being unhealthy and overweight?
Tired of making excuses and justifications of why you can't seem to get back into healthy fitness and lifestyle choices?
5 Healthy Tips From The Fit Room To Get You Back on Track and Feeling Great!
1. Get off the fad, gimmick, powders, injections and pill diets NOW! When it comes to anything of value in life when something sounds too good to be true it usually is! Stop buying in to these outrageous fitness and diet claims and get real! Yes, you will get some instant results by these tricks but it is NEVER lasting, NEVER long-term and NEVER healthy.
2. Food is not your enemy! Food is essential fuel for your body. Food is the source of the protein, carbs, fat, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and fiber you need to keep our body working properly. The macro - and micro- nutrients found in food facilitate digestion, regulate your blood-sugar and hormone levels, support your immune system, and keep your skin, hair and nails looking healthy. "Good nutrition also gives you the energy and vitality to pursue all your fitness efforts and to ensure that your body responds to them optimally", says nutrition expert Pilar Gerasimo. Fall in LOVE with food again. Chronic dieters have tried to separate themselves from food. Most of us have developed such a negative relationship with food that we have lost all concept of what an amazing relationship it can and should be.
3. Get your metabolism back on track. I highly recommend the NYT bestselling book, The Fast Metabolism Diet, by Haylie Pomroy. One of my clients introduced me to this little gem. It is one of the few "diet" books that I have found to be medically sound and grounded in real science. Haylie has enormous amounts of proven knowledge of how our metabolism works and how biochemical changes triggered by diet can speed it up or slow it down. And by the way, my client that recommended the book has had dramatic results and has maintained those results and feels and looks better than she has in years.
4. Claim the Divinely given body that you inhabit. Buried beneath some bumps, bruises and a few scuffs (and maybe a bit of padding) is an amazing health promoting system that remains intact. Our bodies are brilliant in design and intricately created to work in the most efficient ways. Your body earns for healthy living and wants so very much to return you to your best possible health. Your body is your friend but it is also begging you just as JerryMaguire did....."Help me help you!" And if you do it will be only too happy to get busy repairing years worth of damage.
5. "Clear your mind of can't." Samuel Johnson Kill the excuses and blast the justifications.
Some that I hear often....."I don't have the time. I have kids. My job takes my time and energy. I'm too tired. My family isn't supportive. A personal trainer is too expensive. It's too hard. I'm not good at it. I don't know how. I'm not motivated." YES!!!! You are not motivated! "Motivation is everywhere. It's in the mindset. It's in the people around you doing something amazing, showing what's possible. It's in the idea that moving your body can be fun, joyous, miraculous, and that sitting is killing you. You can have excuses, or you can move. Your choice." -Leo Babauta
Know without a doubt that I believe in you and am here for all of your health and fitness needs. You Can Do This!!! Be STRONG!
I get asked often about nutrition, weight loss and diets.
My answer has nothing to do with magic pills, powders, bars or
programs. When people hear my
answers they are sometimes disappointed.
But here it goes again!!!
top 10 non-negotiable list for living a healthy, joyful, fit
(Note…I didn’t say anything about skinny) by Kim
When you are happy you are powerful. When you are happy you feel good inside
and out. When you are happy the
person you see in the mirror looks good.
That doesn’t mean perfect.
There still might be things that you would like to change, but you accept
yourself how you are. If you aren’t happy, then choose to be happy.
Start something new. Do
something that you have wanted to do for a long time.
Make some changes. Connect
with people that help you feel happy and surround yourself with them. Ditch those that don’t make you feel
good. Let go of things that are
bringing you down. You have the
power to change anything in your life it just takes adjustments and being
honest. There is a direct
correlation to living a joyful life and being healthy, trim and fit. You start being proactive about your
own happinesss and you will start seeing the lbs. coming off.
I guarantee it!
it takes, get your bum off the couch and get moving.
Just do it! Go for a walk,
roller blade, ride a bike, put on an exercise DVD, join a new fitness class, put
on your favorite bootie shakin’, slammin’ jam and dance, swim, do sit-ups in
your living room, jump rope, skip, hop, run. Whatever it takes.
Get your blood and heart pumping, your arms and legs moving and your
circulation grooving. Amazingly
enough this will add wonders to #1.
to Your Body! I 100% believe that we are divinely
created and from that divinity we were given every tool within ourselves to be
healthy. The problem is we have
forgotten how to listen to ourselves, to listen to our bodies.
We have bought into so many programs, pills, supplements, crazy diets,
and horrific advice that we can’t even hear our bodies talking anymore. Slow down, turn off the noise and begin
to hear what your body is saying.
Begin to hear what you are craving. Begin to listen to when your body is
hungry and when it is not. Begin
to be aware of what your body needs to eat. It will tell you.
Get off automatic pilot and be present with YOU.
buying into the fads and schemes! If something sounds too easy, too good
to be true and is a quick and fast solution to your health and fitness needs-
then it is!!! Look at how long it
has taken you to get unfit, unhealthy.
It is going to take you a bit longer to get back into feeling good and
seeing your body change. But YOU
are so worth it. It is not easy,
but so completely necessary.
Patience is key and realizing that this is now just your healthy way of
life for the rest of your life, is vital to your success.
off the scale! Throw it
I mean throw it away today. There
is no greater self-sabotaging tool than a scale. For example…..You have been eating so
clean for the last week. You have
gone to the gym. You are feeling
really great. You can hardly wait
to get on the scale to see the needle drop. But guess what?
It doesn’t. You haven’t lost
a single pound. Well screw
this…..”I’m going to eat a dozen Twinkies!!!” Sound familiar????
You know when you look good.
You can feel weight loss when you put on your clothes.
You can see healthy when you look in the mirror.
Get rid of the soul crushing scale. Get out of the numbers game and set
your sights on feeling healthy, not focusing on dropping pounds.
Again, if you take on this healthy way of life, I promise the lbs. will
come off. Guaranteed!!!
Whole Foods!!! Stop
filling yourself with bars, powders, pills and “diet” foods.
These are overflowing with chemicals that are absolutely harmful to your
health. Eat fresh, full in color
and flavor foods that have as little time from farm to table.
Satisfy yourself with things that taste fabulous.
Why eat anything that doesn’t taste good just for the fact that it is
“low-fat”, “calorie free”? When
you treat your body good with whole food nutrition you will not only see the
lbs. come off, but you will notice your complexion, hair, nails, overall look
truly shine. Get off the train of
depravity and LIVE, EAT and ENJOY!
Out The Junk!!! It’s time to clean out the pantry and
fridge. Throw it all away. Anything that comes in a box is
processed. Anything that is filled
with white sugar is poison to your gut.
Really!!! Anything that has
a long shelf life is not worth eating.
Food in a cardboard box is often filled with chemicals and saturated in
sodium. Set up a system of success
where you are not going to be tempted.
If you continue to buy the crap, then you will continue to eat the
crap. Get rid of it!!!
You have been eating clean-whole foods, moving that body and taking on a
healthy way of life then eat the *@#! cookie. If you see something that you really
want then eat it. Just make sure
that you eat one instead of the whole box. And know that tomorrow brings moving
and eating healthy, clean, whole foods right back again.
But if you choose to eat the cookie…make sure it is the best tasting
cookie that you have ever had.
Don’t cheat yourself by choosing something that is average.
What would be the joy in that?
Ask yourself when you are being tempted…”Is this going to be fantastic
and heavenly?” If the answer is
yes then Go For It!!! If you’re
not sure then hold off for that something that makes your mouth water. Your belly will thank you. I have been
known to have a few Hot Tamale binges in my day. Sometimes an overdose in something that
is purely emotional feels good.
Don’t shame or berate yourself.
Recommit and start fresh the next day. No harm done.
Tastes As Good As Healthy Feels!!!
has been my personal motto for years and it works.
I know how it feels when I am healthy and strong and I also know how it
feels when I am not. I choose
healthy. I choose being in control
of what I put into my body and what I do with my body.
I know that truly there is nothing out there that taste as good as I feel
when I am eating well and working strong.
There is no pastry, alcohol, pizza, donut, bag of chips that gives me the
same feeling as I get when I am fueling my body smart and moving my body
effectively. Nothing!!! Nil, Zip, Null, Void, Nada…Nothing!
Make a difference!!!
best remedy for unhealthy, obsessive living is to get out of your own head. Stop focusing so much on YOU and get
out there. Make a difference in
someone’s life today. Commit to
someone or something to make a change for good. Get involved.
Be passionate! Be aware of
how connected we all are and how we effect everyone around us.
Be conscious of the energy you bring into a room.
Get over yourself and realize there is a great big wonderful crazy world
full of amazing people to connect with and learn from.
The more you focus on others the less you will be concerned with the few
pounds over you are on the scale.
The less you will be critical of the size of your thighs or the wobble of
your under arm. Get out there and
Gratitude by Kim Salisbury
There is a common theme of gratitude that one will find when reading most yoga instructors bios. We all in one way or another have a deep sense of thankfulness towards yoga, the person that introduced us to yoga and the yogic philosophy that has changed, enriched and healed our lives. I am no different. Yoga has changed, enriched and healed my life. Like most I came to yoga for a workout and general physicality of the discipline but quickly realized that yoga offered a healing from the inside, a light, a hope that opened up a bright new world off the mat. Yoga offered a life of forgiveness, generosity, love, hope and a greater awareness of the world around me and my place in that world. Yoga for me in its greatest form is spirituality and a deeper connection to God.
Being able to introduce, share and teach yoga to a student is one of my greatest joys. To be able to expose another to yoga is magical. There is nothing greater in my job than watching a student transform, shift and light up because of yoga. It starts with them physically feeling a difference and evolves into a rebirth of their goals, desires, dreams and intentions. To be a witness to these changes and a-ha moments is a blessing. To be near their mat when a pose finally becomes accessible or when their body stops fighting and opens up into a flexibility that they never imagined happening is wondrous. To be able to share something that has the power to transform someone's life as they know it is amazingly enriching.
At this time of thanksgiving I would like to shout from the rooftops, "I LOVE MY JOB!" I will be eternally grateful to all my students that put their trust, faith, fitness, health and general well- being in my hands. I will forever be grateful for the impact they make on my life and the opportunity that I have to share in theirs. Yoga brings people together and unites us as a community and a whole. With deep respect and gratitude for yoga and all that it encompasses. Namaste and Happy Thanksgiving!
Kim is a passionate fitness junkie that is certified in Personal Training, Pilates & Yoga. She thrives on introducing you to your healthy, fit, joyful and amazing self through fitness, life and nutritional counseling.